Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Its all about following your dream!


"When you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Ever believed in a dream? Ever thought that your dream could tell you all that you want to know? That your dream could take you there where you are meant to be? Well I have... I do..!!

I dream... I dream a little too much... its often mistaken as “I think too much” or “I plan a lot” or “I build castles in the air” by everyone around me… but as far as I am concerned when I dream I begin my journey…

Sometimes you believe in something , but you’re not sure if that’s right and then something funny happens... you realize that you’re not the only one who feels so..

It was somewhere around the time when, I wasn’t sure about what I want from life and when I was too let down by my experiences that I read the ALCHEMIST-again..!!

The first time I read it was when I was 15... And so I wouldn’t say it taught me a lot then... because honestly It dint...

I did not read it as a modern time classic or did not read it with the intention of deciphering what the writer wanted his readers to decipher...

It was a book I just grabbed from a friend without understanding what effect it was going to have on me in the years to come.

It did not make sense to me then and today exactly 3 years after the first time I read the book it makes more sense to me than anything else...

The story details the journey of a young Andalusia shepherd Santiago. His journey that begins with a dream... a dream that he believes is prophetic...the dream that sets him off on a journey to the Egyptian pyramids. A journey that will teach him the lessons of love, danger, opportunities and disasters.

The story combines an atmosphere of medieval mysticism with the song of the desert. It’s a story about taking chances and listening to your heart.

The best thing about this allegorical novel is that the writer has left the interpretation of a major part of the story for the reader... he has excellently penned down what he truly believes about life, destiny and a man’s journey through life and then left us to think.

He has explained the brilliant concept what has now become the way I look at life – maktub!

Maktub which means “it is written”…

That every incident that takes place... every time you fall or you change your path or you are unable to do something it is because that is what is right for you…

Every person in your life is there with a purpose... every friend or enemy you make will be a lesson you will realize was good to learn when you come to the end of your journey...'

Even though that’s the literal definition of the word what you realize as the story goes ahead is that it’s you who writes every bit of your own story...

This is a journey not only for Santiago but the readers as well... and journey if well read about would teach you those lessons of life that will help you stay strong even in the worst of life’s tribulations...

It is a story about believing that you can write your own destiny if you truly believe in yourself and your dreams...

Another thing that this book makes you realize Is that the simpler our lives are, the easier it is for us to follow our dreams... the entire mankind today believes that at some point of time you lose the ability to control our lives and becomes the pawns of fate and that’s exactly because of the complexity that we handle our lives with..

Those of us who don’t have the courage to trust our instincts and follow our dreams are doomed for a life full of misery and unfullfillment.

It’s extremely interesting how Paulo Coelho suggests that not following your dream is like not wanting to meet god..!! That as we walk on the road that is meant for us and follow our instincts we will find god..!! That god is in the heart of every “happy” person..!!

The book talks about the concept of love in the most beautiful way I’ve ever come across... it does not talk about eternal love... it does not talk about sacrifices.. It does not talk about pain... it’s just talks about how when you love someone truly with all your heart you want to be a better person... you want to set things right.. You want to improve yourself and thus things fall in place... The subject of love inspires a beautiful lyricism in Coelho's writing “I love you because the whole universe conspired for me to come close to you."

This book is close to my heart for the simple fact that it appeals to me... I can relate with it... and identify myself with Santiago...I’m sure all of us can... because all of us have dreams and we are just waiting for them to come true...

The book is a combination of words of destiny, dreams, simplicity, philosophy and wisdom...


And it makes me want to dream ………..more..!!


p.s thank you dush..!!

*tuned into* Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

2 comments:

  1. hey divya..I must say..I have become a huge huge fan of your writing..! :) post after post..i think..god shes brings life to every word she writes..!
    fab job..:)

    ReplyDelete